On August 19, a few minutes past midnight, Red Velvet’s main vocal took to their official Instagram account to hold a live video from SM’s practice room, singing various songs for her dear ReVeluvs.
Wendy took the time to read the comments and interact with viewers both in Korean and in English. She sang songs from her personal playlist, including:
- Jennifer Hudson’s “I Love You I Do”
- Elle Varner’s “Only Wanna Give It To You” feat. J.Cole (we could even enjoy Wendy’s rapping for this one!)
- Daniel Caesar & H.E.R.’s “Best Part, a Visual”
- John Legend’s “Ordinary People” (featuring Wendy’s perfect harmonization with J. Legend’s recorded voice)
- Stevie Wonder’s 1995 hit “Ribbon In The Sky” (again, basically a duet with Stevie Wonder, we were blessed😍)
- JUNE’s “Welcome Home”.
Despite the Live cutting off at times and having trouble with the Wi-Fi, Wendy continued with her mini concert for an hour and a half, taking requests from fans as well. She told us to choose between a rock ballad, an R&B song, something by Adele, and a Korean ballad – and then proceeded to sing almost all of the above! More songs from Wendy’s list below:
- Debelah Morgan’s “Close To You” (R&B song from 2000)
- Deborah Cox’s “Nobody’s Supposed To Be Here” (a 1998 R&B hit that Wendy pulled off as if it were her own song, showing off impressive ad-libs and her signature power vocals)
- Adele’s “All I Ask” and “When We Were Young”
- Demi Lovato’s “Skyscraper” (pointing out how much she loves the lyrics)
- Kelly Clarkson’s “Cry”.
As time went on, ReVeluvs started commenting that it is late and she should go home to rest, so Wendy sang just a couple of more songs, including beautiful ballads by Korean singers LYn and Naul, and – on some fans’ requests – parts of Wheesung’s “Can’t We” and “Say Something” by A Great Big World & Christina Aguilera.
Finally, Wendy bid viewers goodbye, promising to do her lives a bit earlier in the future. She also teased Red Velvet’s upcoming comeback by singing “Umpah Umpah”! It was the same verse we can hear in the first teaser for the track. Wendy said:
See you on the comeback stage! Hope you guys like our new song.
Did you catch Wendy’s Instagram Live, ReVeluvs? Which song from her playlist did you enjoy the most?