At TheStandom, our mission is to help you discover and keep up with the K-pop groups you love in a positive environment shared with other fans (stans). This means presenting you with content that is tailored to your interests, fun, factual, and spam-free.
The following guidelines represent our acceptable use policy and clarify what we do and do not allow on TheStandom.
We want TheStandom to be high-quality and useful, so we prioritize things that are actionable and provide consistent, enriching experiences. This includes:
- original content that adds unique value,
- user-friendly formatting that makes it easy for people to find what they are looking for (such as ROOKIE TRACKER, LATEST UPDATES and IDOL DIARY pages and article tags),
- a consistent landing page that matches what is posted on our social media accounts (Facebook and Twitter).
We also remove spam and other disruptive content including:
- unsolicited commercial messages,
- attempts to artificially boost views and other metrics,
- repetitive or unwanted posts,
- off-domain redirects, cloaking or other ways of obscuring where our post or link leads,
- misleading content or behavior; for example, deceptive design elements or suspicious pop-ups.
Respect other members of the TheStandom community.
We want to foster a positive and diverse community. We remove content that contains credible threats or hate speech, content that targets private individuals to degrade or shame them, personal information meant to blackmail or harass someone, and repeated unwanted messages. We do generally allow stronger conversation around people who are featured in the news or have a large public audience due to their profession or chosen activities.
It is never acceptable to encourage violence or attack anyone based on their race, ethnicity, national origin, sex, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, religious affiliation, disabilities or diseases. We may allow hate speech when it is shared in order to challenge it or raise awareness. In those instances, we ask that you express your intent clearly.
Serious threats of harm to public and personal safety are strictly forbidden. This includes specific threats of physical harm as well as threats of theft, vandalism, and other financial harm. We carefully review reports of threats and consider many things when determining whether a threat is credible.
Foster meaningful and genuine interactions.
Help us stay spam-free by refraining from artificially collecting likes, followers or shares, posting repetitive comments/content or repeatedly contacting people for commercial purposes without their consent.
Follow the law.
TheStandom is not a place to support or praise terrorism, organized crime, or hate groups. Offering sexual services, buying or selling firearms, alcohol, and tobacco products between private individuals, as well as buying or selling illegal or prescription drugs (even if legal in your region) is also not allowed.
Remember to always follow the law when offering to sell or buy other regulated goods. Accounts promoting online real money gambling, real money games of skill or real money lotteries must get our prior written permission before using any of our products.
We have zero tolerance for sharing sexual content involving minors, threatening to post intimate images of others, harassment, and bullying.
POSTS AND CONTENT WE WILL REMOVE
Our moderators and editors reserve the right to remove anything we deem inappropriate, or anyone we feel is doing a disservice to the community. Here is a partial (definitely not complete) list of things upon which we will probably take action.
This is pretty much the exact opposite of fostering a positive environment. Do not insult other members of TheStandom community, call them names, insult them or do ad hominem attacks. We may delete your comment, but, more likely than not, we will block your account.
Got something bad to say about a certain group of people? Feel free to say it – then face a ban. We’ll also come down hard upon loaded insults that “subtly” call out members of these groups.
If you are commenting specifically to cause trouble for our staff or our readers, we will take action. We will also take action against baiting, slandering, and doxing.
One person – one account.
Accusation of bias.
Our editors and writers work very hard to bring you the news, but at the end of the day, it is simply not possible to deliver only the news that you personally wish to see. We are definitely not opposed to fairly stated critiques of our coverage; however, we will not tolerate repeated commentary to the effect that our staff has a long-running, personal vendetta against your ultimate bias.
Posts that promote rape culture and/or victim-blaming.
Unfortunately, it is not uncommon for us to have to report on celebrities who have been charged with domestic violence, rape, and sexual assault. We do our best to report in a respectful manner, and we ask that you treat both the victim and the suspect with respect. We also ask that you do not trivialize the attack. Many people on TheStandom have proven that it is possible to support their favorite celebrity without attacking the victim’s identity and integrity – please follow their lead.
Leaking or threatening to leak any private, confidential or sensitive info about artists, their family/staff and other related individuals, including but not limited to: private social media accounts and phone numbers, addresses, full names, workplace and other personal information, information about their whereabouts during their days off or any other piece of information that may endanger the artists’ safety
We are aware of a wide number of illegal and/or unethical practices that are unfortunately a part of the K-pop world:
- akgae fans (malicious individual fans): remember that a strong and unified fandom is crucial for the success of a group, so please refrain from promoting only one of the members while bashing others
- sasaeng fans (obsessive, stalker fans): TheStandom staff condones this type of behavior and we expect the same from the members of our community; promoting any kind of sasaeng activity or content from these individuals will result in a blocked account
- flight/accommodation information leaks: we encourage our visitors and users to report such content to the entertainment agency in question
- reselling concert tickets, concert goods, illegal sale/resale of official merchandise, counterfeit items, etc.: we do not accept partnerships, advertisements or any other way of promoting these practices – it is recommended that you buy from legitimate sellers only
- excessive “shipping” and fan fiction: we understand that you might like the fan service your bias and other artists display, but TheStandom is not the place to share any text, graphics and/or other content that encourages excessive shipping, sexualizes artists or implies that you know any private domain of the artists’ life
- sexual objectification: treating any artist (male or female) as mere objects of sexual desire, with no regard to their personality or dignity, is a type of dehumanization that is strictly forbidden on TheStandom; moreover, the sexualization of minors is prohibited on our website, so posting those kind of comments will result in a blocked account
- fanwars and organized attack against a certain artist, group and/or company: bear in mind that you can stan your favorite artists without bringing down other groups and fandoms – always be respectful!